Wednesday, October 28, 2009

20 Miles!!!

For the first time in this whole training process, I actually feel ready to run 26.2 miles.

As many (or few, depending on how many people read this thing...) saw last week in my training plan Trey developed for me, this Sunday was my peak mileage day: 20 miles. I was actually pretty nervous about it all last week. I have been feeling really good in al l of my training runs and workouts, but I've NEVER even approached the 20 mile mark before. My previous long run before Sunday was probably in the half marathons I have done, and maybe stretching to 14 miles in a training run.

Needless to say I was a little nervous about it all week. Not only was it 20 miles, but it was 20 miles at more or less race pace. My first thought was that I might be able to take away some of the mental strain by running with Trey. He had mentioned trying to take an early morning and getting out on the actual race course for a long run together. I thought having someone else with me might help me hit that seemingly elusive 20 mile mark. But, Trey was busy this week with a bachelor party for one of his friends (a good exuse I guess, lol) so it was back to just me.

When Sunday rolled around I rolled out of bed at 7 to get some food in me before the run and at about 8 hit my familiar trails around Chamblee to try to get to 20 miles. Luckily, I have the most amazing fiance ever, who met me outside my complex twice during my run so I could get some water and gatorade. She probably saved my life, lol.

In hindsight...I felt REALLY good considering I ran 20 miles. I finished the distance in 2 hours in 45 minutes; a pace of about 8:20. Cardio-wise, I would have no problem finishing out the 6.2. My cardio felt really strong throughout. My knees and feet were pretty sore toward the end, but nothing unbearable. Overall, it was definitely a success. My confidence for this marathon is through the roof and I'm ready to knock it out!!

That being said, there's one other area that has to get knocked out prior to the big race...hitting that fundraising goal! Everyone has been amazing with donations so far, and we are soo close to $3,000! Over the next week, I'm going to be gearing up for the last fundraising blitz, so keep an eye on your email inbox and be generous! It's for a good cause!

Thanks everyone! I'll update again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment