Friday, September 18, 2009

I know...I'm a slacker...

So, my goal was to try to update this blog AT LEAST weekly...well if anyone has actually been following this thing, they know I pulled an epic fail in that attempt. But, in my defense, I don't see the point in writing a post about how my run went yesterday...I'll sum the vast majority of my training runs this way...they're long, they hurt, yet some how are very satisfying every time I get done.

My hope is that I would be moved to write a blog at least once every week about something that you might actually enjoy reading about, as opposed to how I just did a 7 mile run at 7:30/mile pace.

Well, with how busy I've been with work, school, and training, I have not been able to get on here for an updated...until now. Let's just say I was so moved this week after my long distance run on Tuesday.

I traveled to Washington, DC on Monday for work. I received an award on Tuesday at the FTA Awards Ceremony and Wednesday I participated in the New Employee Seminar, which has to be some kind of record by itself, lol. We stayed at a hotel along the Metro Line South of DC in Arlington, VA. Of course taking 3 days off from running was not a possibility so one of my first tasks when I get to the hotel on Monday night was to find some kind of running trail around DC. I even had thoughts of taking the Metro into the National Mall and just doing laps around all of the monuments. Instead I was able to find a better alternative.

Running right along the Potomac River in DC is the Mount Vernon Trail. The access from where I was in Crystal City to the trail was incredibly easy - under a mile. Once I got to the trail I experienced probably one of the best and most scenic runs ever. The view of the DC from the Potomac was incredible. The point I entered the trail happens to be right outside of the takeoff runway at Washing Reagan Airport, so as the planes were taking off they zoomed right over my head. I ran along the Potomac for about 2.5 miles until I reached a bridge I crossed to make my way to downtown DC and the National Mall area. Once I crossed the bridge I ran right past the Jefferson Memorial. Then, I made my way into the National Mall right next to the Washington Monument. From there I turned right and made my way to the US Capitol Building. Passing all of the different museums on the way to the Capitol was awesome. Once I got to the front of the Capitol, I took a loop around the reflecting pond in front of it and headed back to the Washington Monument, back by the Jefferson Monument and finished the final 2.5 miles along the Potomac back to Crystal City.

For someone like me who is fascinated with history and in DC in general this run was amazing. I like my little home trails in Chamblee and Brookhaven, but I'd trade them for those views in a heartbeat.

The other thing that struck me while running on the Mount Vernon Trail and in DC was the number of people out of the trail. I couldn't even count the number of bikers who were COMMUTING to work. I was REALLY jealous. That's a commute I could get used to. There were also scores of other runners out on the trail and I was struck by how friendly everyone was. I got more hellos on this one run than a year running in Atlanta.

My main interest in my current Master's program is this greenway planning and my experience running in DC definitely re-invigorated that interest. I really wish Atlanta could put together something similar. The Silver Comet trail doesn't even compare. I'll try to post some pictures of the trail so you can get an idea of how awesome it was.

In other news, my training is continuing to progress and am on track for getting some good distance under my belt prior to the race.

Thanks again for everyone following my journey and encouraging me. Believe me I couldn't do it without you!

No comments:

Post a Comment